Friday, March 13, 2009

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro on the Cheap

Back in 1973 when I travelled overland through Africa, I hadn't actually given much thought to climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. So when the idea was suggested as we travelled into Kenya, I tossed up.........did I want to do this. None of us had any special clothing, or equipment, which was a bit of a concern. However, ever the one who loves to do something a bit different, I decided I would take on the challenge.

Fifteen of us set off, on what was effectively a private tour. That is....our driver had organised some local village porters to carry our gear, and cook our meals. We had only planned on two meals a day, as we had little dried food, rice etc that was suitable for the porters to carry.Soup and rice was pretty much it! The vision of fresh tomatoes became a motivator for my quick home trip down the mountain!

You can find out the full details of that trek at http://www.fascinating-travel-destinations.com/mount-kilimanjaro.html

This was probably one of the cheapest group expeditions ever! And for some of us who did it in four days, it was faster than most too.But eleven of us made it to the top, and I continue to find it fascinating reading of others who have gone after me!

The dream lives on!

No comments: