Thursday, April 2, 2009

Australia - The Lucky Country

As I start to write up my many, many experiences in Australia - The Lucky Country, I will be happy to relive the wonderful variety and enjoyable holidays I have had over the years. I have no idea how many times I have visited this expansive country. 30, 40 50 ........I lost count long ago.I'll be recording much of interest, tips, recommendations, must see's at http://www.fascinating-travel-destinations.com/guide-to-australia.html

I first visited in 1969, when I travelled by bus between destinations. Starting in Sydney, my cousin and I caught a bus to Brisbane........then a run down backwater......now a lovely town where the historic buildings have taken on a new lease of life, and the South Bank Park has created a great place for a day out.

Back to Sydney, down via Canberra to Melbourne.

Here we were fortunate to stay with friends and got to see much of Melbourne including some of the outer areas. Beaches at Frankston and Lorne, Mornington Peninsula and Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary.

Back on the bus we headed for Adelaide. Here we were taken out and about by work mates of our hosts in Melbourne, so we saw Port Victor and the Adelaide Hills area.These were all places we probably would have missed, as we had a limited budget and no transport other than bus.

We took the return routes inland, so covered quite a bit of territory.

I have since revisited most of these places, and visited many more.

Cairns is a wonderful tropical place I am keen to revisit. We loved Port Macquarie when we had a week there last year.........see http://www.fascinating-travel-destinations.com/camel-ride-on-lighthouse-beach.html

Western Australia is home to both my sister in Perth and my brother in Albany, yet I had not visited until last year. They are both beautiful cities, and Margaret River, is a wonderful holiday spot, in between.

The Great Ocean Road drive a couple of years ago took me back to Adelaide and Port Victor........ I barely recognised it.While my husband was there for a conference, we made the most of our time to visit the many wine areas......Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, Harnsdorf,but have yet to get to the Clare Valley. Whale watching from the shores at Port Victor were a highlight.

The road and coast has to be surely one of the most beautiful in Australia, with the The Great Otway Lighthouse and Park, Twelve Apostles, Port Stephens, and Port Fairy.

This vast country has plenty to see. No wonder retired Australians...the Grey Nomads......... take to the roads in their campervans and motorhomes, to spend months or years roaming the country.See http://www.fascinating-travel-destinations.com/travel-in-australia.html for more information.......which is being regularly updated.

No comments: